Epilepsy - Neurological Disorder

I suffer from both Petit and Grand Mal type Seizures. I have had Epilepsy for the past 10 years. My first Seizure was a Grand Mal and happened while I was at work. The paramedics were called and I was taken to the Hospital and treated accordingly. I will never forget reading the dismissal paperwork that stated I had just had an Epileptic Seizure". The experience changed my life forever I was now classified as disabled. I had no warning that this was about to happen to me and no one had any answers as to how I was supposed to deal with it, from any perspective.
A Neurological disorder is unique in that it may never be fully understood predicted or cured. Seizures have been around since the days of the Ancient Greeks (they thought seizures where caused by offending the Moon Goddess Selene). Yet no definite method of prevention (cure) as been found. A neurological disorder is a disorder a person has to accept as a part of their lives for the rest of their lives. The most over looked aspect of Epilepsy and the Seizures caused by it are the limitations it places on an individual. The sudden loss of the ability to indulge in things once taken for granted like driving. I now have to give serious consideration to my disorder if I am too live a life suitable as well as safe for me.
Before I became disabled I worked as a customer service representative for local company here in town. I also owned and operated a small cleaning company. The onset of my first seizure changed all that. I could no longer transport myself to and from work nor could I perform the duties I had done before. My Epileptic Seizure suddenly made me a liability for my clients as well as the company I worked for full time. I was placed initially on FMLA (family medical leave act) as I tried to maintain a normal life in spite of the seizures. It just became to overwhelming and I could no longer keep up successfully.
It took years for me to accept the fact that I was disabled. The denial had lasted a long time and cost me a lot. I just did not want to see myself in that way. I spent a lot of time asking why me as opposed to accepting my fate and making the necessary adjustments my life required. I live now each day with this disorder. I still have seizures to this day and require assistance from a caretaker some days. I have however accepted that my own life will never be the same. Fortunately I have correctly assessed the situation and no longer underestimate the powers of the mind.